Monday, October 29, 2012

language not-so-barriers

I've heard people say that the best way to learn another language is to watch television in that language. 

But after two episodes of C.S.I. - Scena Del Crimine, I remain unconvinced.

I would, however, be interested in hearing Darth Vader dubbed in Italian.

"Luca, io sono suo padre."





Last night, I met two of my Italian friends downtown for a "chocolate."  I accepted this invitation on good faith, not really understanding what a "chocolate" was, and I'm still not sure after having ingested one. 

Ingested is a gross word, but I'm not really sure if I ate the chocolate or drank it, so it's the best I can come up with at this late hour, that SHOULD be 10:15pm but instead it's actually 9:15pm because of stupid un-daylight savings time.  Don't get me started on that.

Today I was complaining about un-daylight savings time at work, and someone said something to the effect of, "that was my favorite part of the Bush administration - he extended daylight savings time."

And it just struck me funny that that was the best part.

But, I digress.

A "chocolate" is somewhere between a melted Hershey's bar and a cup of hot cocoa, served in a cup but eaten with a spoon.  Think microwaved chocolate pudding, except way more classy, of course, because it's all Italian and you eat/drink/take it in a quaint Italian cafe and you have to do everything the Italian way including pay with exact change, because God forbid they have to break a bill (--huh?).





I've been working on teaching one of my Italian friends all of the most important American idioms, phrases, and concepts that are an absolute necessity for her to get by in life, such as:

-baby mama drama
-Italian stallion
-easy cheesy, lemon squeezy (this happens to be her favorite) (she especially likes the ones that rhyme)
-on the prowl
-[it costs] an arm and a leg
(Italians have something similar: un occhio della testa, which means, "an eye of the head")
-See ya later, aligator / After while, crocodile


She has a no-kidding American idioms spreadsheet where she keeps track of such phrases that she started learning from a previous expat, and I have taken it upon myself to continue his hard work and sound tutelage.

Just trying to help an Italian gal out.

Also, it's hilarious hearing her toss out these ridiculous phrases at random times in conversation with thick Italian accent, all non-chalant as if it is the most natural thing in the world to say.

No way, Jose.

No comments:

Post a Comment