Monday, August 27, 2012

It's official.

First of all, I would like to say that I went straight to the "create new post" button without having to search for it, which, if you read Saturday's post, you would know is a great feat.  At least I accomplished something today, never mind the 3 piles of dirty laundry on my floor. We need not talk about them.

Second, but more imporantly, it's official.  I received my work permit today.  Well, what I really mean by "received" is that I was notified of it's issuance and given a tracking number because the original copy is officially in the mail.  Yep.  That nulla osta is on its sweet little way to my hot little hand in Fort Worth from Milano.  Yeehaw, y'all! 

I'm totally going to say things like "yeehaw" and "y'all come back now, ya hurrrr?" in Italy.  I'm going to milk it for all it's worth.  I'm going to tell them I'm from Dallas and they are going to ask me if I know who shot JR and I'm going to say yes, of course I do, I'm from Dallas.  It is going to be sooo much fun.

I once wore a Texas A&M sweatshirt in London and as soon as I stepped off the bus a man leaned out the window of a car that was driving by and yelled at me, "I love you!" except it was in a British accent so it was more like, "oiay lowve yeuw," and much more charming than I can possibly convey via blog.  And it was sort of the perfect beginning to a wonderful trip, because I'm pretty easy to please like that.

Back to the matter at hand.

The next step is to buy my one-way (eek!) ticket.  The destination: Milan-Malpensa.  The date of departure: October 8.  The time: ...to be determined.  Don't rush me.

I'm trying to decide if I'm going to live in a more rural area, where I could get more bang for my buck and probably have my own private garden where my puppy can run and play and pee on things freely and I won't have to carefully and awkwardly walk behind him at all times with baggie and pooper scooper in hand.  Another pro is that if I live in a smaller town, it is sure to not be as "touristy," and, in my experience, the locals of a small town are much more friendly and interested in getting to know you, which is kind of what I'm going for.  It's also super close to work.

Orrrrrr...

I could live in a quintessential Italian city in a second story apartment with window boxes full of flowers and walk out my front door into the Centro Storico where there are shops on my left and cafes on my right and if I want to go get a pizza, I can walk there, or if I'm more in the mood for a cappucino, I can walk there, too. 

How am I to decide??

Luckily, I have [up to] 2 months in a hotel to figure it out.  Maybe, just maybe, I will have an Italian friend or four by then to give me some advice.  For now, I'll continue to dream of Centro Storico...

1 comment:

  1. I would go for rural. Then, you would have to "find a ride" everyday. :)
    This would enable you to be around people yet you still get to be the private person that you love to be.

    ReplyDelete